Sunday 12 September 2010

Learning to Breathe

I’ve spent the last few weeks working on a number of things suggested by seniors. First was to soften my right knee and ensure my right heel isn’t touching the floor (suggested by Sempai Will Wright). This helps me redistribute my weight so I’m slightly back on my left, ready to spring forward in an instant (in theory).

Second is to control my breathing (suggested by Katsuya Sensei). I have started holding my breath as I engage my opponent and slowly breathing out for up to 15 seconds. I’ve found this focuses seme and helps kiai. However, I occasionally think about my breathing rather than fighting which makes me a sitting duck. Perseverance is required. It also felt like I’d smoked 20 cigarettes after practice, my lungs aren’t used to this type of breathing yet!

Hopefully these two adjustments will help address some of my other problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment