Monday 30 November 2009

Move with the Hips


Sensei Geoff Salmon took the second half of our Thursday practice last week. Instead of an hour of Jigeiko we performed Kirikaeshi, five minutes of Jigeiko and finishing with Kakarigeiko with each new opponent every rotatation. Im sure there is a japanese term for this style of practice. I was completely knackered by the end but enjoyed it!

After final rei Geoff suggested that I push more with my hips for my cuts. I have a nasty habit of raising my right foot too high to 'stomp' for fumikomi. This plants my body and limits my forward movement after the cut.

Footwork is my primary concern at the moment. I must work on it further.

I also visited Portsmouth Kendo on Saturday which I thoroughly enjoyed. I like the guys down there and always have a good practice. A British squad member from London was also visiting who took me to the cleaners.... he destroyed my maai which caused me to 'panic' cut. I was defeated both mentally and physically.

I think it will be a few years until I can give kendoka like him a proper challenge. However, he did say I fight with 'clean kendo' which I take as a complement.

No comments:

Post a Comment